Tax Filing Season will open on January 29, 2022.
Make an Appointment starting on January 05, 2022!
The City of Chicago is committed to ensuring that hardworking Chicagoans can access FREE tax services to file their returns and claim their tax refunds. The City of Chicago works with its nonprofit partner, Ladder Up, to offer free tax help throughout the tax season and at various points in the off-season.
Ladder Up is excited to open 13 tax sites throughout the Chicagoland area and is offering in-person and drop-off services to clients for the 2022 tax season.
Free Tax Services:
Click Here to Make an Appointment Today or call (312) 588-6900
In-person Tax Services:
- Walk-in or make an appointment at selected sites
- Come get your taxes prepared for FREE
- Sit with a volunteer to review your documents and enter your information into our tax software. Another volunteer, Quality Reviewer, will review your tax return make sure it’s free from error, and explain your return to you.
Drop-off Tax Services:
- At your appointment, work with a volunteer to complete any questions you are unsure of during the intake process.
- The volunteer will scan your tax documents to allow Ladder Up tax volunteers to prepare and review your return completely virtual (No waiting!)
- Review your completed tax return with a volunteer completely virtual!
Please refer to the “Eligibility and What to Bring” tab at the top of the page to ensure you have all your documents and are eligible for free services. There might be other out-of-scope cases not listed in which Ladder Up cannot provide services. Please visit goladderup.org/TAP for more information.
Note that the IRS tax deadline for the 2021 tax year will close on April 18, 2022. Please also note that if the Federal and State governments owe you a refund, there is no penalty for filing after the April 18, 2022 deadline.